This article appeared in the Daily News - August 21, 1937
Old Relics of Ancient Capital To Be Preserved
Committee Formed for Purpose of Restoring Old Historic Sites - and Work as Trustees of all Valuable Objects. - To Foster Tradition
Placentia, August 18th – At a meeting convened at the Court House on August 10th a committee was formed which will be hereafter known as the Ancient Capital Historical Committee.
The officers elected are as follows: Chairman, Neila Fitzpatrick Murphy; Secretary Patrick O’Keefe Jr.; Treasurer Leonard Miller; who with the following comprise the full committee: Magistrate Sinnott, James Collins J.P., Richard Phippard (Southeast), H.A. Kelly (Freshwater), Miss S. Griffen (Dunville), P.M. Greene (Point Verde), D.M. Greene (Point Verde), Mrs. M. Sinnott, James Veran, Miss Laura O’Rielly, Mrs. M. Cahill, Miss Kathleen Ryan, Sergt. Carroll, Joseph Carroll, Joseph Collins and Miss Alma Verran. (19 people!)
The object of this Committee is to assemble, recover and preserve all relics of historical value belonging and pertaining to the early settlement of Placentia.
To foster the best tradition of the place and to encourage the revival of interest and study of same.
To co-operate with the Tourist Bureau in any project for the restoration of historical fortifications and to serve as a medium of enquiry or information to the same.
To act as trustees in the care of all objects of value until such time as a suitable building can be provided.
To aspire to a broader programme of Community welfare, through the promotion of our Historic features and natural attractions.
N.F.M (Neila Fitzpatrick Murphy)